28 May 2007State-owned signals provider Sentech is on course to providing about 80% digital terrestrial transmission coverage by the start of the 2010 Fifa World Cup in South Africa.Delivering her department’s budget in Parliament in Cape Town last week, Communications Minister Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri said Sentech intends to launch at least one high definition television satellite channel in time for the World Cup.She said the company would also build a second teleport to provide additional capacity needed for the satellite uplink.In line with the government’s technology plan for 2010, the SA Broadcasting Corporation also plans to have six more high definition units in place by end of 2009.“The implementation of this strategy will meet a number of Asgi-SA objectives, as well as delivery of service to under-serviced second economy areas,” Matsepe-Casaburri said.“We have established a body to oversee the rollout of digital migration in South Africa and we have called it the Digital Dzonga (South).”South Africa’s Cabinet approved the move for the country’s digital migration process to be switched on by 1 November 2008, with analogue signals set to be switched off on 1 November 2011.She said that set-top boxes would enable South Africans to access digital signals using their analogue television sets.South Africa is to begin growing its set-top box manufacturing and maintenance capability, providing an additional boost for job creation in the country.Local contentMatsepe-Casaburri added that new television channels would grow from the migration, requiring the development of more local television content and thus supporting the growth of the country’s creative industries.“New industries such as animation will flourish,” the minister said, noting that the National Electronic Media Institute of SA (Nemisa) was establishing a digital content hub that would facilitate the production of animated and e-learning products and enable South Africa to become the “digital repository of its own historical and cultural content.“Already our own Magic Cellar children’s programme has found resonance in the USA, where HBO has indicated interest.”Source: BuaNews
On Saturday, 10 December a group of people started the 466 kilometre run, which will take place over nine days, raising money for two charities, the Australian Heart and Lung Transplant Association (AHLTA) and The McGrath Foundation. The idea came from Dillon, a personal trainer from Caringbah and originally from Wagga Wagga. Greg decided to embark on this journey to raise some funds for these two great causes, inspired by a client of his, Kimberley Livingstone. Kimberley was born with cystic fibrosis, and at age 28, didn’t have the energy to get out of bed. She had to be in a wheelchair to go anywhere, or do anything with her oxygen bottle by her side and in 2008 her condition deteriorated and she was put on the organ donation waiting list. After 13 months, Kimberley got the call she had been desperately been waiting for, an organ donor had been found.Two years on, Kim met Greg whilst training for this year’s City to Surf, which she completed and beat her time from last year and this gave Greg the motivation and the idea to raise some money for AHLTA to help people like Kim. The McGrath Foundation was also chosen after breast cancer recently touched Greg’s family.Greg is running the whole distance and after three days was just short of the Hume Highway. Kim is aiming for 10 kilometres a day. Kim’s husband is driving the support vehicle and doing some running too, along with Greg’s sister Claire who is along for the ride and the run to support her big brother on his enormous journey.For more information on the run, to donate, and to keep up with Dillon’s progress, please visit the website – www.cronulla2wagga.com. There is also an auction of a Kangaroos framed jersey signed by the Australian Four Nations squad, with further information on the website. Dillon was a member of the Australian 20’s Boys team that defeated New Zealand in the 2009 Youth Trans Tasman Series, while more recently he was a member of the New South Wales Country Mavericks side that competed in the 2011 Elite Eight series. Touch Football Australia would like to wish Greg all the best for the rest of the journey.
Campos: Mourinho return ideal for Real Madridby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer AS Monaco sports chief Luis Campos believes Jose Mourinho should return to Real Madrid.Since his sacking at Manchester United, Mourinho has been linked with Santiago Solari’s job at Real.Campos is close to Mourinho and was sorry to see his demise at Old Trafford.“I was very disappointed by what happened,” said Campos. “He would have wanted to build a great project in England. I see him as the ideal man to manage Real Madrid. He might return at some point because he is a great coach.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Man Utd fullback Luke Shaw: Defence deserves a clean sheetby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United fullback Luke Shaw admits there’s been frustration over their lack of clean sheets.United go to Newcastle this week.”It’s been frustrating [not to keep a clean sheet] because in the last two games we’ve defended really well, especially the two centre-backs,” Shaw told manutd.com ahead of the fixture.”I think Jonah [Phil Jones] and Victor [Lindelof] have been amazing. The defending is much better and we’ve been so close [to a clean sheet]. They’re two set-piece goals [we’ve conceded]. In open play we haven’t really been tested too much.””I think set-pieces are the only thing that have tested us so I think that’s a positive and I’m sure the clean sheet for David [De Gea] will come soon. We just need to keep doing the same things.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
BLACKSBURG, VA – NOVEMBER 17: A general view of an end zone pylon during the game between the Virginia Tech Hokies and North Carolina Tar Heels at Lane Stadium on November 17, 2011 in Blacksburg, Virginia. (Photo by Geoff Burke/Getty Images)Tonight, the new Virginia Tech uniforms for the Hokies’ “Battle at Bristol” game against Tennessee were revealed.The new Virginia Tech uniforms are officially titled “Hokie Stone,” a tribute to the legendary on-campus stone structures. In addition to the heavy use of grays, the uniforms also contain a major black element. A description from one of the creators said the entire uniform “feels strong and powerful.”The Hokies teased their new uniform on Twitter and also did a full YouTube reveal. We’ve included both below.College Football’s Biggest Ever…#BattleAtBristol ??? pic.twitter.com/kQpi9dj3Ek— HokiesFB ? (@HokiesFB) August 20, 2016Virginia Tech fans, what do you think? It’s a far cry from the team’s usual maroon-and-orange look but, in our opinion, it is pretty clean and distinctive. You also have to love the nod to university tradition and the Hokie stone.Virginia Tech and Tennessee will face off in the “Battle at Bristol” at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tenn. on Sept. 10. Kickoff will be at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
Kolkata: The Special Task Force (STF) of Kolkata Police has again nabbed two persons and seized a huge quantity of Amphetamines, commonly known as ‘Yaba’, in tablet form on Saturday.Since the last 10 days, a huge quantity of narcotics has been seized, including ‘Yaba’ tablets worth several crores, which is alarming according to the police. According to STF officials, on Saturday morning police came to know from their sources that two Fake Indian Currency Note (FICN) racketeers were hiding in Topsia area. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaBased on the information, the anti-FICN team of STF went to Topsia and waited for a car as per the tip. At around 8 am, the source pointed towards an SUV coming towards the Hindu burial ground on Topsia Road (South). As soon as the source identified the car, police blocked the SUV’s way with their car and forced the passengers of the car to get down. During search, 70 packets containing approximately 1.5 lakh ‘Yaba’ tablets were found concealed under the seats of the car. The duo along with the car was detained and taken to STF police station in Lalbazar. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayDuring interrogation, the accused duo stated that they had procured the ‘Yaba’ from North East and was about to hand them over to carriers in order to smuggle it out to Bangladesh. In the afternoon, the duo identified as Faruk Ahmed and Musaddik Ali alias Chhotu of Kamrup in Assam, was arrested and the tablets were seized. According to police, the seized ‘Yaba’ tablets are worth Rs 60 lakh approximately in the illegal market. Sources informed that during the last few days, police have arrested several persons with narcotics such as Yaba, charas and phensedyl. Among them, a few persons are known to be FICN racketeers. It is suspected that since police are keeping a strict vigil on FICN smuggling, they are now shifting to narcotics smuggling. However this also a headache for the police as apart from smuggling of narcotics to Bangladesh, racketeers have already developed a secret market in the city as well, which is alarming.
Sepp Blatter has critised the decision to allow the use of the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) for the upcoming World Cup as “not very clever”The former FIFA president was very critical of his successor, Gianni Infantino, for permitting the use of the system with Blatter believing that the fans in Russia will not feel comfortable with it.“For a purist in football, as I am, I think it is an innovation which is going too fast,” said Blatter, according to the BBC.Fan dies after setting herself on fire protesting Iran’s ban on women spectators Manuel R. Medina – September 10, 2019 A young woman from Iran set, only publicly known as The Blue Girl for the color of her favorite club Esteghlal, has died from her injuries after protesting Iran’s ban on female fans.“Most of the referees have never worked this system. To go to the World Cup and introduce this system in the World Cup, I think it is not very clever.“I don’t feel comfortable, definitely not, and spectators don’t feel comfortable.”Previously Blatter was the FIFA president for 17 years, before being removed from the post after a corruption scandal in 2015. The 82 year-old is currently serving a reduced six year ban from sporting competitions.
Atlanta United manager Gerardo Martino, confirmed that he never did Lionel Messi’s bidding when he managed Argentina back in the day.During the time in which Messi has played for the Argentina National Team, there has always been a conversation that suggests many managers like Gerardo Martino received orders from him.When it wasn’t which player he wanted to bring to the tournaments, it was the style of play and many modifications. But none of this information has ever been proved, and many of these managers take these claims as a very serious accusation.Manager Gerardo Martino recently spoke to the media about this, he blatantly denies having received any kind of order from Lionel Messi during his time with the Albiceleste.🇦🇷⚽ Entrevista completa del Tata Martino desde Atlanta. El entrenador argentino habló de todo: presente, futuro, Selección Argentina y Messi ➡ https://t.co/2upJSlHe2sEntrevista colectiva con los colegas, @MelukLeCuenta , @cesaralo y @ESPN_JorgeRamos. pic.twitter.com/OnonqqifGk— Daniel Arcucci (@daniarcucci) October 22, 2018“I never did what Messi demanded. That is a completely fabricated myth, a lot of people came out to talk about it,” said Martino to Daniel Arcucci’s website.Top 10 players who played for both Barcelona and Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to talk about the best players who represented both Barcelona and Valencia, prior to their La Liga encounter at Camp Nou this evening.“I’m not the one who needed to come out an deny it, the lies were uncovered by facts. You have to sit down and analyze who played the 2014 World Cup, who returned in 2015 and said they wouldn’t return.”“Who came back in 2017 and also said they wouldn’t return. When things like that happen, one must sit down and analyze.”#FCB 🔵🔴 | Tata Martino habla de su relación con Messi https://t.co/6FZLeqQbL9 pic.twitter.com/DaTDPzGAJb— Diario SPORT (@sport) October 23, 2018“My happiest moment as a manager was when I coached the Paraguay National Team. It was 5 years in which I managed to be a happy man. We still have an instant messaging group that we call ‘South Africa 2010’.”“They all get together once a month and they send me pictures. In football, there are sometimes technical difficulties that take place, which is exactly what happened there. Right now all I think about is Atlanta United.”“I keep thinking about the possibility of becoming an MLS champion, winning the title. There are very few fixtures left. We qualified to the Concacaf Champions League. That is the only thing I think about right now,” he concluded.
The Dutch wonderkid loves playing football and he has taken his time to explain why he’s in love with the beautiful gameFrenki de Jong is making big headlines for AFC Ajax and the Netherlands national team.The young footballer loves the sport, and he shows this passion on the field.“When I am on the pitch I play on intuition but I think a lot about the game as well,” he told The Guardian.Report: Van der Sar staying at Ajax for now George Patchias – September 12, 2019 Edwin van der Sar will not be leaving Ajax to take up a job at Manchester United.In the last few days, one bookmaker suspended…“With my intuition, it is not just that I receive the ball and always think ‘I’m going to do this’ straight away, even though it just happens that way sometimes.”“Most good players play on intuition. Everyone has a little but I don’t know if you can learn it,” he explained.“Sometimes I’m planning. I’m always searching for the pass. I’m always looking to see my teammate. ‘Is he free?’ Then you already know what to do.”“But sometimes the situation can change. Then you have to react and use your intuition. I try to have a picture when I receive the ball and know where everyone is. That’s one of the most important things for a midfielder,” he added.
Ministry of Education introduces pilot program Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 25 Feb 2016 – The Ministry of Education is adamant that it has won 11 of the 12 allegations mounted against them in that law suit where three students challenged whether the 2014 selection process for National Scholars was fair and followed. In a release from the Minister, there is explanation that the case questioned Hon Akierra Missick’s discretion or good judgment; charging, according to the statement, that the Minister “acted irrationally”. Well, the Minister denies that there was any irrational decision and contends that the judge agrees. It was said, “She noted that the Minister among other things, did not act irrational, acted within her authority and there was no breach of natural justice and based on the policy must look at the results over a two year period.” Despite this point, the bottom line for those following the case is that the Chief Justice of the Turks and Caicos Islands ultimately quashed the selection decision of the National Scholars Committee for the year 2014 and has asked them to return to the table because the decision was not fair to Tristan Greene and Ryesha Higgs. The Ministry of Education said in that media release that there was irresponsible reporting and that the public was misled in those reports. Some were chided by the Ministry for making the story adversarial, yet in the very same statement issued by the Ministry of Education there are constant uses of words and phrases like ‘challenge’, ‘against’, ‘ruled in favor’, ‘allegations’, ‘were not satisfied’ and more … including the most glaring of all, ‘judicial review’. These words and phrases are evidence that it is not the media or general public which created an adversarial situation; but those involved in the case directly namely: the Minister of Education, the National Scholars Committee, Tristan Greene, Davonte Smith and Ryesha Higgs and of course their parents. This was a dispute that went to the court because it needed a judge to settle a disagreement. Education also says its statement was issued in part, to make clear that this case was about the process and not the players. The win on the one allegation for the trio of students, was the major matter and it was a major victory which now has the power to see the process of selection altered. From the Ministry of Education’s press release of late Wednesday, “The court did observe that it is time for a review of the policy. This is an ongoing process. Based on the judgment of Justice Ramsay, the Minister will reconsider the matter in light of the court’s analysis. The court did rule that the Minister’s decision not to award the title of National Scholar on Greene and Higgs based on the criteria applied by committee and the names offered from principals to the subcommittee was wrong.” Wrong. And it is that fact that will send this committee back to the drawing board, and as the Minister stated herself, will now have to name both Tristan Greene, an A level student at British West Indies Collegiate and Ryesha Higgs, a biology student at Long Island University in New York, as 2014 National Scholars. As for what scholarship reward each will receive; that resolve remains unresolved until the Committee meets. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Education Minister tours schools this week Education Minister touts new ICT platform for Public Schools Related Items:akierra missick, british west indies collegiate, davonte smith, justice margaret ramsey-hale, national scholars committee, ryesha higgs, Tristan Greene