View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Naval View post tag: today March 21, 2011 View post tag: Arrives View post tag: Bahrain Share this article View post tag: Kuwait Back to overview,Home naval-today Kuwaiti Navy Arrives in Bahrain Today Training & Education View post tag: Navy Kuwaiti Navy Arrives in Bahrain Today A number of Kuwaiti navy ships docked off the Bahraini coasts today, as part of the Joint Peninsula Shield troops deployed in the kingdom re…(bna)[mappress]Source: bna,March 21, 2011;
HOUSTON >> The Dodgers’ total player payroll was recently estimated at $298.5 million for luxury-tax purposes. The Houston Astros’ player payroll was less than a quarter of that on Opening Day. The Astros’ starting pitcher Friday, Mike Fiers, will collect little more than the league minimum of $500,000, yet the Dodgers couldn’t buy a hit against him — literally or figuratively.Fiers authored the 21st no-hitter thrown against the Dodgers since they began their existence as a National League franchise in 1890. The Astros won, 3-0.The Dodgers hadn’t been on the wrong end of a no-hitter since June 8, 2012 against the Seattle Mariners. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error On Friday, he never really came close to allowing a hit. Fiers had the Dodgers flailing at fastballs that appeared to rise out of his unorthodox delivery, and an assortment of breaking pitches that pushed the boundaries of umpire John Tumpane’s strike zone.“This whole season I’ve been fighting that guy,” Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal said of Tumpane. “It just seems like every time he’s behind home plate, for some reason I’m getting calls outside of the strike zone.“I study my umpires, too. I’m not only going behind the plate thinking how tough a strike zone this guy has. I know their names. I go and study them. I know the exact strike zones they got. It’s one of those frustrating things where you don’t really know what it is he’s going to call on you.“I was trying to figure out a way of knowing what his strike zone was to me, but you can’t really start battling him out there. My third at-bat, I had to say something. All of a sudden, instead of being a 3-1 count, it’s a 2-2 count, so he’s putting me in a bad spot.”Several of Grandal’s teammates had distanced themselves from the moment before the team bus could whisk them away. Anderson said he’d been a part of two no-hitters prior to Friday — once on the winning end and once the losing end. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner had previously taken part in three.Dodgers left fielder Carl Crawford said he once “was on a Tampa team where we got no-hit like three times in a year and still made it to the playoffs,” probably referring to the Rays’ first-place team in 2010 that was no-hit twice. “It’s a big deal to people who want to make it a big deal. But at the end of the day it’s one loss and we have to move on.”Anderson (7-8) allowed seven hits and three runs in six innings. Home runs by Jake Marisnick in the second inning and Evan Gattis in the sixth gave the Astros their only runs.This was the first no-hitter ever thrown at Minute Maid Park, traditionally considered a hitter’s park. Nearly all of the announced crowd of 33,833 stood on its feet for the ninth inning. Fiers began the inning by getting Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley to fly out deep to right field, two of the longest outs the Dodgers mustered all game.Turner was the Dodgers’ last hope. He had seen at least one off-speed pitch from Fiers in each of his three plate appearances to that point. This time, Fiers served up one cutter and four fastballs, none more than 91 mph, the last of which fooled Turner into a swing and miss for strike three.“Who knows, maybe we come out tomorrow and get 25 hits,” Turner said. “Baseball’s a crazy game like that. We could’ve got 15 hits and lost 3-0. I think we would’ve felt worse about that, maybe, not getting hits with guys in scoring position. A loss is a loss, especially late in the season, trying to win a division.”The last time the Dodgers were no-hit in Houston, Nolan Ryan authored his fifth career no-no on Sept. 26, 1981 at the Astrodome. Coincidentally, current Dodgers first base coach Davey Lopes and third base coach Ron Roenicke were in the lineup for that game. The Dodgers won the World Series that year.In the clubhouse and in the coach’s room, this group has been here before.“At the end of the day, it costs you a game,” manager Don Mattingly said. “That’s the way you look at it. If you get two-hit, does it make it feel better? Or five hits? Or nine hits? Does it make it feel any better? Not really. The fact that you get no-hit is just kind of like icing on the bad part of the cake.” • Hoffarth: As Scully takes pause, we draw no conclusion“You don’t ever go into a game, regardless of who you are in the big leagues, expecting to get no-hit,” Dodgers pitcher Brett Anderson said. “It’s kind of shocking. It’s not like he’s Jose Fernandez throwing 99 mph. His stuff on paper is, whatever. He just pitched really well tonight. Give him credit. It’s his night.”Fiers (1-0) threw 134 pitches, none clocked higher than 92 mph, and allowed only three walks. He retired the last 21 hitters in a row.A 30-year-old right-hander, Fiers was pitching for the Brewers when he faced the Dodgers for the first time this season May 7 in Milwaukee. Other than striking out the side on nine pitches in the fourth inning, Fiers did nothing remarkable that day. The Dodgers scored five runs in five innings against Fiers, who told reporters after the game that he “pitched like crap.”• Reltated: Chase Utley makes Dodgers debut
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Roma chief Monchi admits interest in Genoa striker Piatek, but…by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAS Roma chief Monchi admits they’re interested in Genoa striker Krzysztof Piatek.However, he says they won’t consider the Pole at his current valuation.“Piatek? It would be possible if they didn’t ask for €70m,” Monchi told Gazzetta dello Sport.“For me he’s a good player, but he plays for Genoa. Tonali’s one of the best youngsters in Italian football, but I could say the same about Barella.“[Gianluca] Mancini? Right now it’s impossible, but in the summer it’s different. Rugani? Impossible, Juventus rejected a €40m bid from Chelsea and we can’t spend so much on a central defender.”
BLACKSBURG, VA – NOVEMBER 17: A general view of an end zone pylon during the game between the Virginia Tech Hokies and North Carolina Tar Heels at Lane Stadium on November 17, 2011 in Blacksburg, Virginia. (Photo by Geoff Burke/Getty Images)Tonight, the new Virginia Tech uniforms for the Hokies’ “Battle at Bristol” game against Tennessee were revealed.The new Virginia Tech uniforms are officially titled “Hokie Stone,” a tribute to the legendary on-campus stone structures. In addition to the heavy use of grays, the uniforms also contain a major black element. A description from one of the creators said the entire uniform “feels strong and powerful.”The Hokies teased their new uniform on Twitter and also did a full YouTube reveal. We’ve included both below.College Football’s Biggest Ever…#BattleAtBristol ??? pic.twitter.com/kQpi9dj3Ek— HokiesFB ? (@HokiesFB) August 20, 2016Virginia Tech fans, what do you think? It’s a far cry from the team’s usual maroon-and-orange look but, in our opinion, it is pretty clean and distinctive. You also have to love the nod to university tradition and the Hokie stone.Virginia Tech and Tennessee will face off in the “Battle at Bristol” at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tenn. on Sept. 10. Kickoff will be at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
zoomImage Courtesy: Trafigura The first Suezmax tanker has been loaded at the Buckeye Texas Hub terminal located along the ship channel in the US Port of Corpus Christi, Trafigura and Buckeye said.As informed, the terminal recently completed modifications which allow it to berth Suezmax class vessels, enabling an incremental 1 million barrels of crude oil to be exported each month from the site.The 150,000 dwt Mt Astra, which finished loading at the terminal on March 31, was chartered by Motiva Enterprises, headquartered in Houston, Texas.“Buckeye Texas Hub has become a premier location providing marine terminal services, allowing growing US energy exports access to global markets,” Khalid Muslih, Executive Vice President of Buckeye and President of Global Marine Terminals, said.“North American supplies have launched the US onto the world stage as a new crude provider. Upgrading the terminal’s deep-water docks at Corpus Christi will help us to meet the growing demand for this product from European refineries and Far East refineries and petrochemical plants,” Corey Prologo, Head of Oil Trading and Director for Trafigura North America, commented.The terminal is operated and 80% owned by Buckeye and 20% owned by Trafigura, with Trafigura retaining exclusive throughput rights. It has approximately 7 million barrels of storage capacity for liquid petroleum products, five vessel berths, including three deep-water berths and the capability to accommodate Suezmax class tankers, and two 25,000 barrels per day condensate splitters.
Advertisement Advertisement Twitter Login/Register With: Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment TENIKA DAVIS JOINS NETFLIX’S JUPITER’S LEGACYTenika Davis has been cast as the younger Flare in Netflix’s Jupiter’s Legacy television series. Davis’ character is the daughter of the original Flare (played by Timeless’ Mike Wade).“Tenika Davis is The Flare, a superhero who takes over the mantle after her father’s injury,” reads Netflix’s description of the character. “But in this world, superheroics aren’t all fun and games, and often come with a whole bunch of deadly consequences.”Davis previously appeared on Syfy’s Incorporated, Bravo’s 19-2, and CBC’s The Book of Negroes.Based on the Image Comics title by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, Jupiter’s Legacy is being overseen by Daredevil season one showrunner Steven DeKnight. Casting news for @mrmarkmillar & @stevendeknight’s Jupiter Legacy!Tenika Davis is The Flare, a superhero who takes over the mantle after her father’s injury. But in this world, superheroics aren’t all fun and games, and often come with a whole bunch of deadly consequences. pic.twitter.com/tVXYWrZ0Mj— NX (@NXOnNetflix) April 8, 2019 Facebook JUPITER’S LEGACY ADDS TENIKA DAVIS IN KEY RECURRING ROLE AS A SECOND GENERATION SUPERHERONetflix continues to create separation between Marvel (Disney+ will be the new home of Marvel Television) and DC (the Arrowverse shows are expected to make the jump to DC Universe and forthcoming Warner Media streaming platform) with adaptations of lesser known comics like The Umbrella Academy, Locke & Key and Warrior Nun.The streaming platform has doubled down on titles from Mark Millar’s Millarworld comic book imprint with television adaptations of Supercrooks, American Jesus, and Jupiter’s Legacy in various stages of development. Film adaptations of Empress, Sharkey the Bounty Hunter and Huck are also in the works.On the TV side, Jupiter’s Legacy is furthest along, with Josh Duhamel, Ben Daniels, Leslie Bibb, Elena Kampouris, Andrew Horton, Mike Wade and Matt Lanter set to star. Per Deadline, Tenika Davis is the latest addition to the cast. Davis will play Petra Small, the second generation Flare (the first generation is pictured above) and daughter of the original, played by Wade. In the comics, The Flare has a son named Peter.Steven S. DeKnight (Spartacus, Daredevil, Pacific Rim: Uprising) is serving as showrunner and will direct the pilot. Tenika Davis is set for a key recurring role in Jupiter’s Legacy, the superhero epic series from Steven S. DeKnight (Marvel’s Daredevil) based on the stories by Mark Millar.Jupiter’s Legacy is among the first slate of series and movies based on the stories of Millar and based on the graphic novels of the same name by Millar and artist Frank Quitely.The series follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930s. Now, in present day, they are the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. READ MORE
EDMONTON – Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says British Columbia’s opposition to the Trans Mountain pipeline threatens the rule of lawin Canada and says she made it clear in a phone call to B.C. Premier John Horgan that her province is retaliating.Notley says they had what she called a “very frank chat.”She says she is also introducing legislation this week to give Alberta the power to reduce oil flows to B.C., which could send gas prices in the province soaring.Notley’s comments after Kinder Morgan announced Sunday it was scaling back work on the Trans Mountain pipeline, saying opposition from the B.C. government puts the project at risk.B.C. is fighting the multibillion-dollar expansion with legal challenges and permit delays over concern about oil spills and coastline protection.The expansion project, from Edmonton to Burnaby, already has federal approval and Notley says B.C.’s actions ignore the rule of law and threaten to provoke a constitutional crisis.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has given an update on its geotechnical survey of the Old Fort landslide, which has grown to 8 million cubic metres in size.Ministry spokesperson Lisanne Bowness said that the main slide that began on September 30th and was previously estimated at 5 million cubic metres has now grown to around 7 million cubic metres.Another slide that is developing to the west of the main slide is approximately 1 million cubic meters, bringing the grand total of material that has moved in the past 12 days to approximately 8 million cubic metres. To put that into perspective, it took BC Hydro’s Site C main civil works contractor nearly three years to remove the same amount of material from the north bank of the Peace River Valley to stabilize that slope.By comparison, the 2014 mudslide that killed 43 people in Snohomish County, Washington was around 10 million cubic metres, while the largest landslide in Canadian history saw over 48 million cubic metres of rock race down the slopes of Mount Meager near Pemberton in 2010.In an email, Bowness said that alternate routes to access the community are currently being explored, and the ministry has mobilized road construction equipment to the area and is currently on standby.She added that while the equipment is ready to go, geotechnical engineers say that it is currently not safe to start construction on any of the options.The Peace River Regional District is providing frequent updates about the landslide situation on its website and Facebook page, and the Ministry said that it is advising residents to check there for further details on the evacuation order and on Emergency Social Services that are being offered.
GRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – Two people are in police custody after allegedly leading police on a pursuit near Grande Prairie yesterday.On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at approximately 11:00 a.m., RCMP were called to a report of a suspicious man whose vehicle was stuck in a ditch near the community of Webster.The caller reported the man was behaving erratically and left on foot with a female passenger. A 35-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl were arrested and remain in police custody.Police say that charges are pending and an update will be provided when more information is available. Witnesses then saw the suspects flee the area on a quad. Police attempted to intercept the quad but were unsuccessful.Police say they learned that the truck in the ditch was previously stolen, while the quad was reported stolen soon after police encountered the suspects.Moments later, a third report of a stolen truck was relayed to police.Police quickly located the vehicle and repeatedly attempted to arrest the suspects, one of police learned was a dangerous offender.The suspects continued to evade police and RCMP enlisted air support and members of the Emergency Response Team in Edmonton, along with officers from the Spirit River and Dawson Creek detachments.The vehicle was located from the air and collided with two police vehicles before coming to a stop near Bonanza.