Tagged with: BT MyDonate Research / statistics Volunteering Melanie May | 16 January 2017 | News Charitable cause involvement a motivator for sticking to resolutions 104 total views, 2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis27 AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis27 More than a quarter (28 per cent) of people questioned by YouGov for BT last month said that they would be more likely to adhere to New Year’s resolutions if they involved a charitable cause.This is most the case for younger people, with 38 per cent of 18-24 year olds more motivated to keep a resolution that is linked to charity.One in six people who said they would make a new year’s resolution also stated that they planned to do something for others through charitable activities in 2017, either through fundraising, giving money or volunteering.The research also questioned people on their giving and volunteering habits. 71% said they had given to charity in the past year, while 14% had actively fundraised. 37% of those asked said they preferred to give, with 24% saying they liked to do both. 54% said that they were encouraged to raise more money if there was an additional incentive for doing so that rewarded the charity.BT is running a prize draw until 20th February on BT My Donate that will see any fundraisers who create a page on the platform and raise over £100 (excluding Gift aid and offline donations) between 5 January and 20 February entered in to a prize draw to double the donations received on their fundraising page, up to a value of £1,000.Suzy Christopher, charity and community director, BT, said:“With nearly three quarters of us having donated to charity over the past year, it’s clear that we’re a generous nation. As 54 per cent of us will make exercising more our priority in 2017, tying this into a charitable New Year challenge could be the perfect way to combine fitness and fundraising.” 103 total views, 1 views today Advertisement About Melanie May Melanie May is a journalist and copywriter specialising in writing both for and about the charity and marketing services sectors since 2001. She can be reached via www.thepurplepim.com.
Comments For the Syracuse women’s lacrosse team, the early portion of its regular-season schedule has been anything but a simple learning experience.Typically, a nonconference schedule is a precursor. It is a time for a team to learn about its identity, its strengths and its weaknesses before the grueling conference schedule begins. But for the Orange, it has had to do so against a flurry of ranked opponents.After the No. 7 Orange (4-2) hosts No. 11 Dartmouth (3-1) today at 3 p.m., SU will have played five nationally ranked opponents in its first seven games. The Orange has defeated No. 12 Stanford (5-2) and No. 9 Towson (5-1) while falling to No. 6 Virginia (6-2) and No. 1 Northwestern (6-0).Syracuse’s schedule has provided a challenge for the team right out of the gate this season. But head coach Gary Gait wouldn’t have it any other way.‘It’s been great,’ Gait said. ‘To play a tough schedule is a goal of mine. We increase our strength of schedule every year so that we can become one of those top five teams in the country. The goal is to play the best of the best and be successful at it. It has put the pressure on early, and it’s made us really work on a lot of different things and look at different styles of play.’AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith March coming to a close, the Orange has also had its stamina tested. SU had a significant amount of days off in the beginning of the season, including a nine-day hiatus from Feb. 27 to Mach 8. But by tonight, Syracuse will have played three ranked opponents over a weeklong span with the Big East opener just four days away.Though the schedule has been tiring, the players believe that it has appropriately prepped them for the more demanding Big East slate, in which games are played far more frequently. ‘I think over the past couple weeks we’ve had so many games,’ senior attack Jackie DePetris said. ‘At the beginning of the season we had such long breaks. We would have a game and then a whole week off and then a game and a whole week off. But now it’s constant because we’re playing every couple of days, and it’s easier to bring our confidence level into the next game.’With the Big East schedule nearly upon it, Syracuse is poised to begin a run directly up the conference standings. The Orange was chosen second in the conference in a preseason vote by the conference head coaches, falling just short of No. 14 Georgetown (2-4) for the top spot. In an odd set of circumstances, SU’s Big East schedule appears to be far less challenging than its nonconference one.But despite that sentiment, the Orange knows that it can’t take any of its league games for granted, regardless of what team records say.‘Maybe a little bit,’ junior attack Tee Ladouceur said when commenting on whether the schedule will be less daunting from here on out. ‘But the Big East teams that we’re going to play are also pretty tough, so it’s not going to get much easier. We’re going to take it one game at a time and will hopefully be as prepared for each of the games as we need to be.’ Looking back on the nonconference schedule, Syracuse has played moderately well. Aside from a heartbreaking loss to Northwestern, the Orange beat two out of four ranked teams. After today’s game against Dartmouth, SU will have a better understanding of whether or not it can call its nonconference schedule a success.But whether SU loses or manages to pull out the victory, Gait knows that the past is the past. A new season begins on Sunday, and the players need to take what they’ve learned from the first seven games and apply it to what truly defines a season — the Big East schedule.‘Now we move forward,’ Gait said. ‘We’re the highest-ranked team in the Big East at this point, so we’re supposed to win the rest of the way. It’s going to be a great mental test for us to be prepared and focused for every team that comes after us. And we’re going to take it to the Big East and show them that we deserve to be the best.’[email protected] Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm
Five Kenyan teenagers, aged 15 to 17, have been selected to take part in the Google Technovation software development competition. Their innovative app design addresses female health challenges, in particular raising awareness of female genital mutilation.(Left to right) Stacy Owino, Cynthia Otieno, Purity Achieng, Mascrine Atieno and Ivy Akinyi, students at Kisumu Girls High School in Kisumu, Kenya, are members of the school’s Restorers science club. They have developed an app to counter female genital mutilation and other female health challenges. (Image: Facebook)CD AndersonStacy Owino, Cynthia Otieno, Purity Achieng, Mascrine Atieno and Ivy Akinyi are students at Kisumu Girls High School, in Kisumu, Kenya. They belong to the school’s science and technology club, and focus on developments that help their community, in particular women and young girls. They call themselves the Restorers, dedicated to “restoring hope for hopeless girls”.The five have designed and developed an information app, called I-cut, that helps teenage girls learn more about the effects of female genital mutilation, as well as gives information about rescue centres and legal and medical assistance.The app has grabbed the attention of Google, which has invited the girls to compete in its Technovation competition. Competing app and software designers from around the world can win $15,000 in prize money and an opportunity to further develop their winning app for global users. The Kisumu girls are the only Africans represented in the competition.The Technovation demonstrations took place on 6 August 2017 at the Google headquarters in Silicon Valley, in San Francisco, California. The competition is co-sponsored by the United Nations, and is aimed at encouraging technology skills in girls and young women from developing countries, ultimately with the goal of creating a new generation of tech entrepreneurs.Kenya is known as one of the most technologically advanced countries in Africa, particular for its pioneering mobile technology industry.Female genital mutilation is a non-medical procedure that involves the total or partial removal of external genitalia. It is still practised in Africa and Asia as a cultural rite of passage and a prerequisite for marriage. Despite it being an illegal practice in Kenya, one in four Kenyan women undergo the procedure, according to the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO). Globally, the practice affects more than 200 million young girls.The procedure generally does not take place in clinics or hospitals. Many of the young victims suffer from health problems and severe medical side-effects. Most never return to school afterwards, which is exactly what spurred the Restorers to address the problem.“Female genital mutilation is a big problem affecting girls worldwide and it is a problem we want to solve,” Stacy told Reuters, before leaving for the United States. “[The competition] will change our lives. Whether we win or not, our perspective of the world and the possibilities it has will change for the better.”Ivy added: “We just have to use this opportunity as a stepping stone to the next level.” The girls hope to use the experience to become programmers and software developers when they leave high school.Source: Reuters, MashableWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
It All Starts Here! Registrations into new Summer Season Touch Football competitions are now open.Summer is fast approaching and what better way to get into shape with your friends than register and participate in the several touch football competitions offered right around the country. Touch Football Australia has set the strategic target of one million participants in the sport by 2020; excitement is building across the country with participation growth evident particularly in the junior competitions. Tune in to TFAâ€™s new season activation video where CEO of Touch Football Australia, Colm Maguire, highlights the importance of participating in sport and the diverse opportunities Touch Football has to offer and the on how and where to register. â€œTouch Football is a very inclusive, diverse and social sport; catering for both genders, a wide variety of ages, abilities and communities with an extensive national footprint,â€ Maguire said. â€œWe are encouraging all juniors and seniors along with community groups and other sports including Rugby League players coming out of Winter competitions, to dust off their boots and participate in the many fun, social and inclusive Touch Football competitions and programs on offer over the 2016-17 Summer period.â€Visit PlayNRL.com and the TFA website (state and national) on registration and location competition information and contacts. Using the locator button, simply enter your postcode to find your closest touch football affiliate and you and your teammates are on your way to a season of fun, fitness and meeting new friends. So, get your friends and team together and register now to be one in a million! Related LinksBe One in a Million
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth fullback Stacey impressing skipper Francisby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth fullback Jack Stacey has impressed veteran teammate Simon Francis.Cherries signed defender Stacey from Luton Town in the summer for a fee of around £4million.Skipper Francis told the Daily Echo: “He’s been great, Jack.“He’s taken on board everything that the manager has thrown at him really. Pre-season he looked really fit, he’s a strong runner and him and Smithy have been battling it out at right-back.“He certainly impressed in training and in pre-season. I’m pleased for him, along with some of the other young lads as well.“They’ve had that career where they’ve started in the lower leagues and then built their way up and that’s great for confidence. It definitely gives you that hunger. It did for me and you also don’t forget where you’ve come from. You’ve played in the lower leagues so to be in the Premier League, I’m sure he’ll be chomping at the bit.”
FAYETTEVILLE, AR – NOVEMBER 27: Head Coach Bret Bielema of the Arkansas Razorbacks on the sidelines during a game against the Missouri Tigers at Razorback Stadium Stadium on November 27, 2015 in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The Razorbacks defeated the Tigers 28-3. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)Arkansas upset Ole Miss this afternoon by the score of 53-52 in overtime. The game-winning series for the Razorbacks featured a ridiculous lateral on 4th-and-25. In the post-game press conference, a giddy Bret Bielema misspoke in hilarious fashion. Intending to say he was “looking forward to hopping on a plane with my wife,” Bielema instead blurted out “I was looking forward to hopping on my wife.” He quickly caught himself and laughed it off before finishing his presser. You can hear the media and those in the background laughing as well. The full clip is below.bret bielema, ladies and gents pic.twitter.com/294ySnhBs9— El Flaco (@bomani_jones) November 8, 2015Bielema always seems to keep things interesting. His team is now 5-4, and the Razorbacks seem to be in good position to qualify for a bowl.
The Minister, who was addressing a JIS Think Tank on Wednesday (October 17), said a number of local and international investors have expressed interest in the sector, particularly in manufacturing products from bamboo and feeding into the value chain. Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. J.C. Hutchinson, has expressed a commitment to standardising the expanding bamboo industry in a way that encourages investment and safeguards protected bamboo spaces. Story Highlights Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. J.C. Hutchinson, has expressed a commitment to standardising the expanding bamboo industry in a way that encourages investment and safeguards protected bamboo spaces.The Minister, who was addressing a JIS Think Tank on Wednesday (October 17), said a number of local and international investors have expressed interest in the sector, particularly in manufacturing products from bamboo and feeding into the value chain.“We will, therefore, have to plan properly to have the bamboo – the raw material – to supply them. We are in the embryonic stages (with this industry) and are looking to see how we can develop this into a full-fledged economic enterprise that will drive agriculture and manufacturing,” he said.Mr. Hutchinson said the structures of the industry will involve the use of designated persons to purchase the bamboo and supply it to the factories.“In other words, it can’t be all and everybody that is supplying it. It has to be persons who are registered, and we are going to have to make sure we have the traceability of that process. It has to be structured in such a way where we find where it is coming from and see it going directly to the factory,” he pointed out.The Minister said that appropriate structures are necessary to prevent areas such as Holland Bamboo from being cut to supply the market.He informed that Chinese and American interests have indicated a willingness to invest in the sector, but noted that every effort will be made to ensure that investments include having manufacturing done locally.“We are not going to be allowing anything to be going out to be processed. We need to have the processing done here; anybody who wants to invest, they must set up the factory here and not set it up anywhere else and then take out our bamboo,” he added.The Minister, in the meantime, told JIS News that he will be meeting with the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) and the Forestry Department in the upcoming week.The discussions will pave the way for the development of a policy to guide the bamboo industry while protecting the country’s natural resources.The Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, in partnership with the Bureau of Standards Jamaica will be leading the staging of the first Caribbean International Bamboo Symposium at the Jamaica Conference Centre in Kingston on November 27 and 28.The event will cover a range of concerns and is being hosted under the theme ‘Bamboo: An Economic High Value Chain Resource for the Caribbean’.Other partners in the hosting of the symposium are the International Bamboo and Rattan Organization, Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF), Bamboo Industry Association of Jamaica (BIAJ) and the Jamaica Business Development Corporation (JBDC).
APTN National NewsThe Alberta government’s newly appointed tar sands panel is only a few days old, but one of its members has already quit.Professor Helen Ingram from the University of California was supposed to help the province design a credible way to monitor the effects of the tar sands industry on the environment.Instead, the Alberta government’s efforts to repair the tar sand’s image are in tatters.APTN National News reporter Noemi LoPinto has more.
AFN Regional Chief Kevin Hart of Manitoba is facing a vote of non-confidence at the end of July. Photo courtesy: AFNDennis WardAPTN NewsThe regional chief of Manitoba for the Assembly of First Nations is facing a non-confidence vote, APTN News has learned.Kevin Hart will learn his fate after a vote at a special chiefs assembly of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs (AMC) on July 30 in Brokenhead Ojibway Nation.The meeting for the specific purpose of discussing Hart’s removal takes place a day before AMC’s 31st Annual General Meeting.Hart was re-elected to a three-year term in July 2018.Hart confirmed the non-confidence vote was taking place but wouldn’t say why.In an earlier text message, Hart, who’s house was recently destroyed in a fire, said it had been a “troubling few weeks and I will concentrate on my family and my work until I address the Chiefs on July 30.”The AMC has not responded to numerous requests for comment.Calls to chiefs within the organization were also not [email protected]@denniswardnews
EDMONTON – Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says British Columbia’s opposition to the Trans Mountain pipeline threatens the rule of lawin Canada and says she made it clear in a phone call to B.C. Premier John Horgan that her province is retaliating.Notley says they had what she called a “very frank chat.”She says she is also introducing legislation this week to give Alberta the power to reduce oil flows to B.C., which could send gas prices in the province soaring.Notley’s comments after Kinder Morgan announced Sunday it was scaling back work on the Trans Mountain pipeline, saying opposition from the B.C. government puts the project at risk.B.C. is fighting the multibillion-dollar expansion with legal challenges and permit delays over concern about oil spills and coastline protection.The expansion project, from Edmonton to Burnaby, already has federal approval and Notley says B.C.’s actions ignore the rule of law and threaten to provoke a constitutional crisis.