Facebook Google+ Google+ IndianaLocalNews Twitter Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) Three contractors who became trapped in a manhole in Columbia City have died.Emergency crews were called to the 400 block of South Main Street just before 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 25, according to ABC 21 in Fort Wayne.The men were found twenty feet underground in water that was five feet deep.The three victims were contractors hired by the city for a storm sewer project.It is unclear how they got stuck. Previous articleSuspect at large following two Michigan shootings MondayNext articleHoosier postal workers call on Congress to fund post offices Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Pinterest Three contractors dead after becoming stuck in Columia City manhole WhatsApp By Jon Zimney – August 25, 2020 0 519 Facebook
University President Fr. John Jenkins offered information on several University initiatives including the fundraising campaign and campus construction in a speech delivered to the Notre Dame faculty Tuesday afternoon in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.His remarks also addressed addressed the ongoing investigations into possible honor code violations involving several football players.Photo courtesy of Barbara Johnston, University of Notre Dame Jenkins said Notre Dame’s recent fundraising campaign had received $1.1 billion in total donations and pledges and the 2013-14 fundraising year had “shattered the University’s previous annual record by nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.”“People do not give large portions of their wealth for the sake of mediocre results,” he said. “Critical for our recent success is the confidence that you, our faculty, inspire in potential benefactors. … I see the remarkable success of the early phase of the campaign as an endorsement of the quality of your work and the depth of your commitment.”In the speech, Jenkins explained the status of the University’s investigation into possible violations of the honor code involving both student athletes and students who are not varsity athletes.He said the athletic department’s compliance office became aware of “a potentially problematic situation involving a current student athlete as well as a student who served for a brief time as a paid student employee of the athletic department, although that position had no role in academic tutoring or advising of student athletes.”“I want to underscore that the current investigation has not revealed any misconduct or knowledge of impropriety by regular, full-time staff,” he said. “However, given the student’s brief status as a paid employee, there was the possibility of what the NCAA considers an ‘excess benefit’ given to the student athlete by a representative of the institution.”Jenkins said the decision to release the names of the student-athletes involved came as a result of the names leaking through social media before the University made an announcement.“In order to deter unfounded speculation about individuals not involved, we made an exception to our policy of not releasing the names of students involved in such a process and confirmed the identities of implicated students who had already been named in the public forum,” he said.Jenkins also mentioned a recent survey of faculty that indicated while Notre Dame faculty on the whole are more satisfied than faculty at a comparison group of schools, “women … are on the whole less satisfied than men, those at associate rank for an extended period are less satisfied than others and faculty in general are less satisfied with the climate for women and minorities.”“I want to thank you for your commitment to all our students, particularly those in minority groups,” Jenkins said. “We will continue to work to foster an environment of mutual respect and welcome for all.”He also detailed goals for the new Keough School of Global Affairs – the first new school at Notre Dame in nearly a century. He said history professor Scott Appleby became the dean of the new school this summer after 14 years as the John M. Regan Director of the Kroc Institute for International Peace studies. The new school will open in August 2017.“The school will offer a Master of Global Affairs degree and we will also consider creating a supplementary undergraduate major with thematic tracks in areas such as peacebuilding and development,” Jenkins said.He updated the faculty on the Campus Crossroads project and said work will begin in November on the west side of the stadium for the student services center and on the east side for the anthropology and psychology departments’ building and a digital media center. He said they hope to begin construction on the stadium’s south side in fall 2015 for a third building that will hold the music department and the sacred music program.Jenkins announced the ceremonial groundbreaking and blessing of the construction site for McCourtney Family Hall, which will contain laboratory space for science and engineering research, will occur “in a few weeks.” Construction will begin soon on Jenkins and Nanovic Halls, the previously announced interconnected facilities housing the social sciences and the new Keough School, he said.In 2016, the University will begin work on the new Walsh Architecture Hall. Two new dorms located east of Knott Hall will open in fall 2016, and construction will begin next spring. A “very significant renovation” will take place on the first and second floors of the Hesburgh Library as well, he said.“We are tremendously excited about the facilities these projects will provide … A great university is much more than bricks and mortar, of course. It is what goes on in the buildings — not the buildings themselves — that are the real marks of progress,” Jenkins said. “Nevertheless, to be able to provide you, our faculty, with facilities for your important research, scholarship and creative endeavors … are great blessings for us as we continue our work in service to the mission of Notre Dame.” Tags: academic investigation, fr. jenkins, Keough School of Global Affairs, observer staff report
Log in with your social account Linkedin Facebook Tiara sat quietly on a pew at a church in Manado, North Sulawesi. As a transgender woman, she was worried that she and her friends, fellow members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community, would get sneered at by other churchgoers.The 20-year-old was attending a book discussion on LGBT issues at the Minahasa Injili Masehi Church (GMIM) Sion Winangun. The book, titled Menafsir LGBT dengan Alkitab (Interpreting LGBT through the Bible), was written by Emanuel Gerrit Singgih.However, her concerns were quickly forgotten, as she said the participants welcomed her and the other participants from the community.She expressed delight that she could attend the discussion and visit the church to fulfill her religious duties, which she said were to create a fellowship, to testify and to serve.“We, members of the LGBT community, long to perform the… Google Forgot Password ? Topics : LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Christian LGBT North-Sulawesi LGBT-in-Indonesia religion
Environment, Press Release, Public Safety Governor Tom Wolf today announced the release of $23.8 million in funding for a comprehensive, multi-year $43.5 million plan to repair 10 hazardous dams managed by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC).“The lakes formed by these dams not only offer recreational opportunities in communities, they provide tremendous economic benefits through tourism,” Gov. Wolf said. “Proactively replacing and upgrading hazardous dams is an important safety measure that will help ensure these tourist attractions remain available to Pennsylvanians and our visitors.”Projects identified for funding assistance under this announcement involve dams that are nearing the end of their designed structural lifespans. Proactive rehabilitation or replacement of these dams is intended to reduce potential failures, substantial property damage, and increase protections for recreation.“We are extremely grateful to Gov. Wolf for recognizing the importance of preserving this vital infrastructure and the fishing and boating opportunities it provides,” said PFBC Executive Director Tim Schaeffer. “With the commitment of these funds, our agency can move forward with plans to ensure that these lakes continue to be focal points for local recreation and drivers of regional economies.”The remaining $19.7 million in funding to complete the dam repair projects is being provided by the PFBC.Priority projects identified for funding assistance include:Cloe Lake, Jefferson CountyFords Lake, Lackawanna CountyHarris Pond, Luzerne CountyHemlock Lake, Indiana CountyHigh Point Lake, Somerset CountyHunters Lake, Sullivan CountyKahle Lake, Venango CountyRose Valley Lake, Lycoming CountyStevens Lake, Wyoming CountyVirgin Run Lake, Fayette CountyFacilities listed above will remain open to public fishing, boating and other recreation during the design and permitting phases, which are expected to take several years. Construction timelines may vary based upon design, permitting, funding and environmental considerations. Gov. Wolf Announces New Funding to Repair 10 Hazardous Dams February 14, 2020 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
General Karenzi Karake is expected to head home from Britain after the UK dropped an extradition case against him. Reports indicate Rwanda will be seeking compensation for what it’s calling needless prosecution. The general was arrested in June at Heathrow at the request of Spain. Spain accuses the general of ordering massacres in the wake of Rwanda’s 1994 genocide. Spain has now reportedly dropped the case. The controversial arrest caused a storm of criticism from Africans against Britain. General Karake’s arrest stirred up emotions in the UK as well as Rwanda at the time. Let’s take a quick look at how events unfolded.
Police officers served the warrant issued by Judge Cyclamen Jison-Fernandez of the Regional Trial Court Branch 63 in La Carlota City, Negros Occidental dated July 23, 2020. BACOLOD City – The court recommended no bail bond for the temporary liberty of a murder suspect arrested in Barangay Miranda, Pontevedra, Negros Occidental. The suspect was detained in the lockup facility of the Pontevedra municipal police station./PN Resident Angel Grace Arsenio, 24, was caught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 9:50 a.m. on Aug. 3, a police report showed.
DAVID CITY, Neb. – Charger Chassis continues its title sponsorship role for the ever-expanding Southern Region for IMCA Hobby Stocks in 2016.The David City, Neb., chassis manufacturer provides a portion of the point fund to be paid to top five drivers in official standings for the region including tracks in Arizona, western Colorado, New Mexico and Texas, for a third consecutive season.Owned by long-time driver Jamie Richards, Charger also builds cars for Stock Car and Sport Compact customers and currently has more than 420 feature wins, plus 31 track championships and two national crowns on its resume.“Our partnership with IMCA has been great exposure for us in the Southern region, as well as nationally, and we look forward to it continuing well into the future,” Richards said.Point fund checks will be distributed during the national awards banquet in November or mailed beginning the following week from the IMCA home office.Information about Charger Chassis is available by calling 402 367-7688 and at the www.chargerchassis.com website.“The Charger brand has really been popular in the South and is a great result of their partnership in that region,” IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder observed. “We’ll see some new faces at the top of those Hobby Stock point standings and it should result in an exciting season.”
RelatedPosts Ibrahimovic to stay at Milan for another season – Reports Pioli pens new AC Milan two-year deal AC Milan coach brushes off Ibrahimovic’s angry reaction to substitution Zlatan Ibrahimovic has chosen to wear the No. 21 shirt after completing his return to AC Milan on Thursday afternoon. The Swede arrived at Milan’s Linate airport shortly after 11am before setting off to complete his medical examinations in the city. Those tests finished around 3pm and he then headed to Casa Milan to put pen to paper on his deal. Milan took to Twitter later in the afternoon to reveal the number that will accompany his name on the Rossoneri shirt. The 38-year-old could debut for Milan when they welcome Sampdoria to the Stadio San Siro on Monday afternoon.Tags: AC MilanLinate airportZlatan Ibrahimovic
The Uruguay international was handed a lengthy suspension for the incident, missed by referee Kevin Friend but subsequently reviewed using television evidence, in last weekend’s 2-2 draw. Suarez has decided not to appeal against the sanction, seven matches more than the statutory ban for violent conduct, having read the reasons of the panel. “We believe it is our duty to discourage any players at any level from acting in such a deplorable manner or attempting to copy what they had seen on the television,” said the report. “The incident of biting an opponent is alien to football and must remain so.” The panel also stated that Suarez had failed to “fully appreciate the gravity and seriousness of this truly exceptional incident”. “It is completely unacceptable and such truly disgraceful behaviour could also lead to possible health issues,” said the report. “This truly shocking incident had been seen by millions of viewers both domestic and overseas, as well as generating a great deal of interest and debate amongst countless numbers of people. “Whilst we accepted that Mr Suarez’s reputation had been impacted, these unsavoury pictures would have given a bad image of English football domestically and across the world alike. “All players in the higher level of the game are seen as role models, have the duty to act professionally and responsibly, and set the highest example of good conduct to the rest of the game – especially to young players. “In this regard and on this occasion, Mr Suarez’s conduct had fallen far below the standards expected of him. We took into consideration Mr Suarez’s apology, his personal statement, supporting letter from Mr Brendan Rodgers and the letter from Ms Zoe Ward (Liverpool’s secretary). “But when these were read in conjunction with Mr Suarez’s denial of the standard punishment that would otherwise apply for violent conduct is clearly insufficient, it seemed to us that Mr Suarez has not fully appreciated the gravity and seriousness of this truly exceptional incident.” Suarez earlier released a statement in which he said he elected not to appeal because he realised his behaviour was unacceptable. He said: “I am truly very sorry about the incident with Branislav Ivanovic. I hope that all the people who I have offended at Anfield last Sunday will grant me forgiveness.” Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was banned for 10 matches for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic to act as a deterrent to further such “deplorable behaviour”, an Football Association Regulatory Commission ruled. Press Association